Featured Narrative Series: #129, Susan Plachta's "Three Billygoats"

Today's featured narrative from the Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives is #129, Susan Plachta's "Three Billygoats."  Archive #129 includes a video file and a text transcript of the video, and we've included both in today's post!  We reproduce the text and video exactly as they appear in the archive.  This DALN contributor describes the narrative as focusing "on the influence of my mother on my literacy" and describes events that took place in the United States in the 1970s.



"Susan: So what I wanted to tell you is the story of literacy that I had was when I was about four or five years of my mom always read to me the three billy goats gruff. And each time she would do it, she would do all the different voices. And it would be "Who's that stepping over my bridge?" And each billy goat would then be the smallest voices to the large ones. And that it would always be a great experience, because we would sit on her lap and we would listen to it and get all the voices, and I would like to hear it over and over again. And so with that, each time I would pick different books that my mom would read to me, but always came back to that story, it always came back to the three billy goats gruff. Love that story. I think it really instilled my love of reading, just have that great experience at the very beginning, encouraged me in that way. Exactly, she brought everything to light, the characters, and having those moments with her, and she's always been instrumental in my literacy. So that's my story."



Feeling inspired by this story?  We invite you to


2. Share this blog post with others!

3. Subscribe to our blog via email so you won't miss any of our Feature Narratives. Email subscribers receive an email anytime we add a new post to the DALN blog!  Join our email list in the right-hand sidebar under "Follow by Email."

4. Reflect on your own literacy stories and consider sharing one or more of them with the DALN!  The DALN submission process can be completed entirely online from any Internet-connected computer, and we welcome submissions from all around the world on any topic related to reading, writing, or composing!  Just click on the "Submit a Narrative" link at the DALN web site to get started, or stay tuned for a blog post later this week with a video walk-through of the submission process!


0 comments:

Post a Comment